HALSE MISSION CHAPEL
Services at Halse
4th Sunday of the month, 5pm: Communion service
For additional special services please see our calendar.
Contact Sue Bridge for more information.
History of Halse Chapel
In the 1880s it is recorded that the curate from Brackley used to walk to Halse and lead a service in Mrs Bartlett’s dining room with around 40 people attending. Around that time, Halse consisted of five farmhouses and 15 cottages and had a population of 110, including 65 children. The following is a quote from St Peter's magazine, May 1884, “Oh that we had a room which could be used for the service and for a Day School for the children, for only a few can walk to Brackley. Cannot something be done to supply this want? May God direct us and bless us in our efforts to rebuild the Chapel at Halse.” (We understand that their previous chapel, dedicated to St Andrew, had been lost and the site built over.)
The answer to their prayer came in the form of the present Halse Mission Chapel. Originally a railway community room, it was used by the workers constructing the railways in the area. It was purchased by the Rt Hon The Earl of Ellesmere and erected in its present position for the people of Halse in 1900. A dedication service was held on 28th October 1909 led by The Revd JW Horsley, the Rural Dean, and The Revd WB Broughton, the Vicar of Brackley.
Some 90 years later and still in use, the building was in need of quite a bit of repair work. The current congregation of Halse together with the people of the community raised funds for repairs matched by a lottery grant. Toilet facilities were also installed. A re-dedication service was held on Thursday 28 October 1999, led by The Ven Michael Chapman, Archdeacon of Northampton, assisted by Canon Peter Woodward, the then Vicar of Brackley.
Ten years on, it was felt that 100 years of the Chapel was a day worth celebrating and Bishop Frank, Bishop of Brixworth, led a celebration service in a packed Halse Mission Chapel.